|FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
San Diego – Beginning Sunday, Sept. 1, a new fare structure for the Metropolitan Transit System (MTS) and the North County Transit District (NCTD) will go into effect.
All new fares can be viewed on the MTS and NCTD websites. The most significant changes include:
- Addition of a $3 Day Pass for Seniors/Disabled/Medicare (SDM) and Youth riders for MTS bus, Trolley, Rapid, SPRINTER and BREEZE ($6 for Rapid Express)
- All Day Passes are available on the free Compass Cloud app
- Increase the Adult Day Pass from $5 to $6
- The SPRINTER/BREEZE monthly pass has been combined with the Regional Monthly pass and will now be $72 to include service on the MTS bus and Trolley
- Reduce the monthly discounted pass price for Youth from $36 to $23 for MTS bus, Trolley, Rapid, SPRINTER and BREEZE ($32 for Rapid Express)
- Increase the monthly discounted pass price for SDM passengers from $18 to $23 for MTS bus, Trolley, Rapid, SPRINTER and BREEZE ($32 for Rapid Express)
- Increase the minimum age for senior discounts from 60 to 65 years (people born on or before Sept. 1, 1959 will remain eligible for reduced fares)
- Create a single one-way fare price ($2.50) for MTS bus, Trolley, Rapid, SPRINTER and BREEZE
- An increase in COASTER fares
- Elimination of 2, 3, 4 and 14-day passes
- Elimination of free Trolley transfers to align with bus fare policy
The fare changes are designed to increase fare revenue and close a structural budget deficit. These are the first increases in fares in 10 years, a period in which operating costs have climbed by more than 25%. The changes also simplify the fare structure across the region, making fare purchases easier to understand.
For further information about the new fares and fare products, contact MTS at sdmts.com/619-233-3004 or NCTD at GoNCTD.com/760-966-6500.