Free rides begin after 6 p.m. and service will extend beyond 2 a.m. on Dec. 31
News conference photos and B-roll here:
San Diego- Free rides on New Year’s Eve return this year to help San Diegans celebrate safely, and avoid high parking and ride-share costs. The Metropolitan Transit System (MTS) and the North County Transit District (NCTD) will offer free rides after 6 p.m. and extra late-night service on New Year’s Eve. Additional late-night service will extend beyond 2 a.m. from Downtown on MTS Trolley and NCTD COASTER services. Free rides will be offered on all MTS buses and Trolleys, and NCTD’s COASTER, SPRINTER, BREEZE, FLEX, and LIFT services.
“There is nothing more important than ringing in the New Year safely, and we want to make sure the public has options, takes precautions and makes these festivities safe for them and their loved ones,” said Stephen Whitburn, MTS Boardmember and San Diego City Councilmember, District 3. “Free rides will be available starting at 6 p.m. on all transit services New Year’s Eve, and we hope this can encourage folks to leave the car at home, hop on the Trolley or a bus at no cost, and enjoy the celebrations safely and hassle free.”
“Taking public transit is a safe way to get to and from your New Year’s Eve destination,” said NCTD Vice Chair Priya Bhat-Patel. “Not only is transit free after 6 p.m. on New Year’s Eve, but we’ve added service to give you more options to get to your celebration safely.”
Extra Night Trolley Service for NYE from 12th and Imperial:
- Last train to Santee departs at 2:06
UC San Diego Blue Line
- Last train southbound to San Ysidro departs at 2:37 a.m.
- Last train northbound to UTC departs at 2:08 a.m.
- Last train eastbound from Downtown Courthouse to Arnele Ave. Station departs at 2:15 a.m.
Extra NCTD COASTER Service from Downtown San Diego:
- Extra southbound train to depart Oceanside Transit Center at 10:36 p.m.
- Last northbound train to depart Santa Fe Depot at 1:20 a.m.
Extra NCTD SPRINTER Service between Oceanside and Escondido:
- Extra trips departing Oceanside Transit Center at 12:33 a.m., 1:33 a.m., and 2:33 a.m.
- Extra trips departing Escondido Transit Center at 11:33 p.m., 12:33 a.m., and 1:33 a.m.
Monday, January 2 , Observed New Year’s Eve Service:
Normal MTS service will run for New Year’s Eve, Saturday, December 31. On New Year’s Day, Sunday, January 1, MTS bus routes will operate a normal Sunday schedule, all three Trolley lines will run every 30-minutes, all day.
Modified service is planned for Monday, January 2 as an observed holiday:
- MTS will run buses and Trolleys on a Saturday service schedule.
- No service on any route without Saturday service, including Rapid Express Routes 280 & 290, and the Sorrento Valley COASTER Connection.
- Closed: Transit Store, PRONTO Support Center and Customer Service.
- MTS Information and Trip Planning: Open 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. on Monday, January 2. Open 7 a.m. – 5 p.m. on Saturday, December 31, and closed on New Year’s eve.
Friends Ride Free Promotion:
MTS Holiday Promotion: Friends ride free! Every fare paying adult can bring one guest on board with them at no cost on New Year’s Day (Sunday, January 1). Youth 18 and under ride free with a Youth Opportunity Pass every day.
For more details about holiday service visit the MTS Holiday Service website.
NCTD Holiday Weekend Service Information
NCTD will operate a normal Saturday service schedule on Saturday, December 31 with additional late-night COASTER and SPRINTER trips. NCTD will operate a normal Sunday service schedule on Sunday, January 1 and normal weekday schedule on Monday, January 2.
Free Rides on the MTS network this year, along with the extra late-night service, are made possible thanks to a sponsorship from the Reyes Coca-Cola Bottling Company.