It is the policy of NCTD to ensure that communications with customers and members of the public with disabilities are as effective as communications with others who do not have a disability. Upon request, NCTD will furnish appropriate auxiliary aids and services where necessary to afford an individual with a disability an equal opportunity to participate in, and enjoy the benefits of, any program, service, or activity conducted by NCTD. In determining the type of required auxiliary aid or service, NCTD will give primary consideration to the requests of the individual with disabilities.
Auxiliary aids and services include, but are not limited to:
- Qualified interpreters, note takers, transcription services, written materials, telephone handset amplifiers, assistive listening devices, assistive listening systems, telephones compatible with hearing aids, closed caption decoders, open and closed captioning, telecommunications devices for the deaf (TDDs), videotext displays, or other effective methods of making aurally delivered materials available to individuals with hearing impairments.
- Qualified readers, taped texts, audio recordings, braille materials, large print materials, or other effective methods of making visually delivered materials available to individuals with visual impairments.
A “qualified interpreter” means an interpreter who is able to interpret effectively, accurately, and impartially,
both receptive and expressively, using any necessary specialized vocabulary.
To request the use of auxiliary aids and services to ensure
effective communication, customers should contact NCTD at:
Attn: Paratransit Services Program Administrator
810 Mission Avenue, Oceanside, CA 92054
E-mail: email@example.com | Phone: (760) 967-2842
All requests for services or copies of documents to be provided in alternative format will be taken; however, customers should provide notice of the request at least 72 hours prior to the event. NCTD will make its best effort to fulfill each request:
- For public meetings and hearings: notify the Clerk of the Board at least 72 hours in advance by calling (760) 966-6553.
- For ongoing services and programs: contact the NCTD Paratransit Services Program Administrator at (760) 967-2842 at least 72 hours in advance.
- For emergencies or urgent requests: notify the NCTD Paratransit Services Program immediately at (760) 967-2842.
When an auxiliary aid or service is requested, NCTD will give primary consideration to the choice expressed by
the individual with disabilities. NCTD will honor the choice unless:
- NCTD can show that another effective means of communication is available.
- NCTD can show that the use of the means chosen would result in a fundamental alteration in the service, program, or activity.
- NCTD can show that the use of the means chosen would result in undue financial burden to the agency.
The Paratransit Services Program Administrator will consult with the individual to identify how to best achieve effective communication with the individual in the context of the specific program, service, or activity. The Paratransit Services Program Administrator may ask the individual for technical assistance and information on how to obtain a particular auxiliary aid or service.
Within 48 hours after the request for auxiliary aids or services, the Paratransit Services Program Administrator will, in writing or other alternative format, notify the requesting individual with a disability of the proposed auxiliary aid or service to be provided.
If the requesting individual is dissatisfied with the Paratransit Services Program Administrator’s proposed auxiliary aid or service, the individual is encouraged to file a grievance with NCTD. Grievance procedures can be found at GoNCTD.com or by calling NCTD Customer Service at (760) 966-6500.