San Diego, CA—Beginning today, discounted fares for Senior, Disabled, and Medicare recipients (collectively called S/D/M) and Youth (ages 6-18) will be available on the Compass Cloud mobile ticketing app.
Introduced in March 2017, Compass Cloud is the Metropolitan Transit System’s (MTS) and North County Transit District’s (NCTD) anytime, anywhere, mobile ticketing solution for San Diego transit riders.
“Since Compass Cloud launched a year ago, more than 100,000 users have set up accounts and 300,000 fare products have been sold,” said Paul Jablonski, MTS chief executive officer. “Compass Cloud is widely popular with transit riders. Adding more fare options is a natural next step.”
In addition to standard day passes and monthly passes for adults, MTS and NCTD will now offer:
- 30-day Regional S/D/M
- 30-day Regional Youth
- 30-day Rapid Express S/D/M
- 30-day Rapid Express Youth
- 30-day Coaster S/D/M
- 30-day Coaster Youth
In the first phase of the roll-out, passengers interested in discounted Compass Cloud fares will need to meet the following requirements:
- Prove S/D/M or Youth eligibility at the MTS Transit Store or one of the NCTD Customer Centers. Acceptable forms of identification:
- Compass Card photo ID (preferred)
- A valid government-issued photo ID with birthdate (for seniors)
- Medicare card + government-issued photo ID
- DMV placard ID (receipt) + a government-issued photo ID
- Senior ID card (60+)
- Birthdate for youths under the age of 19 or parent verification
- Own a smartphone
- Provide an email address that is accessible on the applicant’s smartphone
- Ability to download the free Compass Cloud app
- Have a credit card or PayPal account
After eligibility is confirmed, passengers will receive an email that “unlocks” the appropriate pass. Passengers can then purchase and activate the pass when boarding.
Compass Cloud offers MTS and NCTD riders many conveniences including:
- 24/7 Purchasing Capabilities: Passengers can purchase fares on their smartphones at any time, giving them the option of making a transaction at their leisure
- Family-Friendly: Multiple fares can be stored and activated on one smartphone, making it easy for families and friends traveling together
- Future Use Ticketing: Multiple tickets and different types of passes can be stored for future use so passengers can avoid the hassle of purchasing a new ticket every time they ride
- Secure and Reliable: Full compliance with Payment Card Industry Data Security Standards for secure mobile transactions
The second phase of the roll-out will include the ability for riders who qualify for discounts to prove eligibility at community outreach events and at rider training events. Call-in and email verification for riders with Compass Card Transit ID cards will also be possible in the second phase.